Saturday, January 18, 2014

Our waste problem


We have too much trash.  We don't have a garbage pick-up service, so we take our trash to a county dump site.  Nothing is recycled.  Our routine has been to load up our trash bags into 3, 40 gallon cans. On Saturday morning, I load up the trash in m truck and take it 9 miles to the dump site. Our 3 cans are full every week and we have had I take special trips in the past during he week.  I would like to set a goal of reducing our trash by half in the next couple of months or so.  I am looking for ideas to implement to reduce our trash.  Here is what we have so far:


1: all food waste will go in a coffee can and tossed in the compost bin. This is a no-brainer, but we always get lazy on it.  I will be sure to leave the coffee can out on the counter. In the past we have given up when it gets full and never taken outside. The compost bin is about 50 yards away from the back door. Maybe we can put a larger receptacle right outside. Since a coffee can fills up quick.

2. We should start saving all our cardboard for sheet mulching.  We have been throwing it all away due to laziness but I am always searching for car board when it is time to sheet mulch.  This will save us money on weed stop which we have bought in roles.

3. Bring home less trash.  We have been guilty of using lots of disposable plastic.

4. Shreddings to the compost pile. I shred all our junk mail and I will start composting that.


No comments:

Post a Comment